Wednesday, May 22, 2013

how geeks spend the weekend

One Sunday in mid-April I really, really, really wanted to go running, but the weather absolutely would not cooperate. It just kept raining, and while I actually love running in the rain, rain accompanied by thunder and lightning is an entirely different story.

So I pouted a bit and then decided to head on over to the gym and put in an hour on the elliptical trainer instead of hitting the road. And when I came out? The rain had stopped (timing!), and as I was walking to my car a lady popped her head out of her van and said I should look at the rainbow.

So I looked up and saw this!

IMG_4210.jpg

I shot the photo above with my trusty iPhone5 (love the camera on that thing), but I really wanted to try to catch a shot or two on my DSLR, too, and since it was just half a mile to the house I jumped in the car to run home and get it.

I also collected Darren while at the house, and a few minutes later we were up on the top level of the university parking garage. Unfortunately the rainbow had faded quite a bit, but I still managed to get a shot of the tail ends. :)

DSC_8357.jpg

Part of the convenience of where we live is that the university where D is working on his master's degree is pretty much right in our back yard, and my gym and the parking garage we were standing on top of to take that photo are all right on campus.

And guess who had an experiment running and decided to take me along to the lab while I was there? :)

DSC_8360.jpg

I got to see all the nifty lab equipment and scope out the -80 freezer, and then...

DSC_8362.jpg

...we went to the dark room to develop some films that Darren had left to develop from a radioactive gel. Yes, I just said radioactive...Geiger counters were in fact in use!

DSC_8364.jpg

I took just a couple of photos of the darkroom (oh, what an awesome craft space this kind of setup would make!!) before the main lights had to be shut off and the red darkroom lights used instead.

DSC_8365.jpg

From a rainy substitute-workout to developing photos of radioactive experiments in a university darkroom...just another weekend in Geekville!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS